Fettucini With Pesto and Garlic Mushrooms
- 14 to 16 ounces regular or gluten free* fettucini
- 1 lb chicken tenders**, tendons removed and cut into small pieces (opt.)
- 8 ounce box mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons avocado or light olive oil
- 1 cup pesto (recipe below)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
**For vegetarian, leave out the chicken and add:
- 1/4 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 6 to 8 spears of thin asparagus, blanched until crisp tender, and sliced into 1″ pieces , or 2 cups blanched broccoli.
In a non stick skillet, sauté the mushrooms and garlic in the oil for 10 minutes or until the juices are gone and the mushrooms are starting to brown. Remove to a plate. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and sauté just until all pink is gone. Do not overcook or the chicken will get tough. Return the mushrooms to the pan and mix them with the chicken pieces. Remove from heat and keep warm. Toast the 3 tablespoons of pine nuts and set aside. Boil fettucini according to directions, drain and return pan to heat to boil off excess water. Fold the pesto into the fettucini until the noodles are all coated. Transfer to a heated serving dish and place the chicken and mushrooms on the top and sprinkle with the reserved nuts. Sprinkle with the cheese.
*Whole Foods carries a very good gluten free fettucini by Tinkyada.
- 2/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup light olive oil
- 3 lightly packed cups basil leaves
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
Put pesto ingredients in food processor and process/pulse just enough so you can still see the pieces of basil and finely chopped nuts.