Great with roasted chicken and peas and carrots.
Wild and Brown Rice Stuffing
- 1 cup Lundberg Wild Blend or brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 slices gluten free bread (see Nutritious Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread)
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 8 mushrooms, diced
- 3 medium stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or light olive oil
- Penzey’s Bavarian Seasoning (crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and sage)
To cook rice, fill a pot three quarters full with water and bring to a boil. Rinse the rice using a sieve. Once the water is boiling, add the rice. Let the rice boil uncovered for 35 minutes, then remove from heat and drain all the water out. Put a lid on the pot and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove lid, sprinkle the rice with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and fluff the rice with a fork.
While rice is cooking, sauté onion, celery and mushrooms in butter and oil for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Break bread into pieces and process in food processor until there are only crumbs. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake 10-15 minutes in a 300 degree oven (Don’t overcook. You just want them to be dry not toasted). Combine the crumbs, rice and vegetable mixture together and sprinkle with the Bavarian season if desired.