Breakfast Egg Muffins
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1/2 recipe (8 ounces) Apple and Sage Sausage (recipe below)
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Line a muffin pan with parchment liners. Brown the sausage until fully cooked, breaking it up into pieces. Divide the sausage evenly among the cups.
Beat the eggs just enough to get them broken not too much because you don’t want the the muffins to puff way up when they bake or they will spill over the liners. Add the cream, salt, pepper and onions. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage. Sprinkle with the cheese and parsley. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.
Homemade Apple and Sage Sausage
- 1 lb ground dark turkey meat, lamb or pork
- 1 honey crisp apple, cored, peeled, and grated or chopped very small
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, partially ground in a mortar and pestle
- 3 garlic cloves, minced using a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
Mix all the ingredients together. Can be frozen for later use.
To make red pepper and feta cheese egg muffins exchange the green onions, cheddar cheese and parsley, for 3 tablespoons of jarred red peppers, cut in small pieces, or bruschetta topping, drained in a sieve, and 1/3 cup feta cheese.