Lamb Curry Chili
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 8 small carrots, sliced in 1/8′ to 1/4″ slices
- 1 medium head of celery, cut in 1/2″ pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans
- 1 large sweet potato, cut in 1/2″ pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 – 4 cups water
Heat a large dutch oven like the #28 Le Creuset. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and tilt the pan to spread the oil. Add the lamb and break up into small pieces and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cook until all the pink is gone and transfer to a container and set aside. Pour out the grease from the pot and return it to the heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Add the carrots, celery, onions and garlic and cook 10 minutes stirring several times. Move the vegetables to the side and add the curry powder, cinnamon, coriander and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and half teaspoon pepper, stirring it for about 10 seconds then stirring it into the vegetables.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, both beans, sweet potato and cilantro. Add enough water to just cover. Bring to a boil, turn heat down and let simmer for about 40 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are soft but not mushy.
This soup can be frozen in jars.