- 1/2 cup soft white wheat berries (for gluten free use 6 cups cooked part rice and part quinoa in place of wheat berries and bulgar)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fine (No. 1) bulgar
- 4 cups water
- two large bunches Italian flat parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely minced fresh mint
- 4 Persian cucumbers. diced
- 3-4 Roma or plum tomatoes, seeded and diced (you don’t want sweet and juicy tomatoes for this dish)
- 1 cup diced red onion
Cook wheat berries in 1 3/4 cups water with 1/4 teaspoon salt for 1 hour and drain.
Soak bulgar in 4 cups water for 15 minutes and strain through a fine mesh sieve using the back of a spoon to press out the liquid then spread on paper towels to get the rest. Toss all ingredients in a bowl and stir in dressing.
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil or light olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Shake dressing ingredients in a jar and pour over salad.