- 1/2 cup soft white wheat berries (for gluten free use 6 cups cooked part rice and part quinoa in place of wheat berries and bulgar)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fine (No. 1) bulgar
- 4 cups water
- two large bunches Italian flat parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely minced fresh mint
- 4 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 3-4 Roma or plum tomatoes, seeded and diced (you don’t want sweet and juicy tomatoes for this dish)
- 1 cup diced red onion*
Cook wheat berries in 1 3/4 cups water with 1/4 teaspoon salt for 1 hour and drain.
Soak bulgar in 4 cups water for 15 minutes and strain through a fine mesh sieve using the back of a spoon to press out the liquid then spread on paper towels to get the rest. Toss all ingredients in a bowl and stir in dressing.
*You can soak the onions for 10 minutes or pickle them for 15 minutes to temper the bite of the raw onion and possibly make them easier to digest if you have problems with raw onions.
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil or light olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Shake dressing ingredients in a jar and pour over salad.