A sports bar in Downtown Disney was the beginning of the inspiration for this wrap. They wrapped slices of cooked chicken breasts in flour tortillas along with mixed wild greens, tomatoes, red onions, blue cheese and avocado. It was great but then I wanted to play with it a bit and I switched out the plain chicken with Middle Eastern seasoned chicken breast slices and used feta instead of blue cheese.
Then when I went on a Paleo diet and ran across the Siete family’s delicious line of grain free tortillas, the recipe was transformed again. The Siete cassava tortillas comes in a burrito size that is perfect for wraps. I switched the cheese with tzatziki sauce. For a keto diet you would need to do the red cabbage instead of red onions and leave off the sauce and use more avocado and a sprinkle of olive oil and salt. And if you are avoiding lectins, peel and seed the cucumbers and tomatoes.
The seasoned chicken is also great on a salad drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper and some fresh mint.
Paleo Middle Eastern Shawarma Chicken Wraps
- Shawarma Seasoned Chicken, sliced and warm
- Siete burrito size cassava flour tortillas
- sliced field greens or romaine
- thinly sliced red onions* or red cabbage
- julienned carrots
- diced tomatoes
- sliced avocado
- tzatziki sauce (If you are on a strict protein and veggie diet, skip the tzatziki and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper)
- toasted pinenuts (opt.)
- additional fresh mint leaves torn (opt.)
Heat the tortillas and place the ingredients that you want in the middle. Fold two sides of the tortilla about 2-3 inches over the filling, then starting at one end roll the tortilla up.
* You can soak the onions for 10 minutes or pickle them for 15 minutes to temper the bite of the raw onion and possibly make them easier to digest if you have problems with raw onions.
Shawarma Seasoned Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamon
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- avocado oil
Place the salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, curry powder, garlic powder, cardamon and turmeric in a bowl and mix together.
Wash chicken, pat dry, and trim off fat. Place them in a zip lock bag and pound them to an even 1/2″ thick. Place in glass casseroles, sprinkle with avocado oil and turn them to coat both sides. Sprinkle with the seasoning.
Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.
This chicken can be served hot or cold and you can slice it and store it frozen in individual packages.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Persian cucumbers or 8″ of an English cucumber peeled, seeded, sliced and halved
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Place all dressing ingredients in a bowl and blend.
These are fresh turmeric roots.