Rainbow Cole Slaw With Mandarin Oranges
This is the third version of this cole slaw on my website. It began with the Rainbow Slaw in the Copycat Rainforest Cafe Lettuce Wraps and Thai Chicken Salad appetizer where it had golden raisins and then the Rainbow Cole Slaw where the raisins were replaced with beets. For this version the main change is the mandarin oranges that are in season now late in winter.
Rainbow Slaw With Mandarin Oranges
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 each red, yellow and green bell peppers, finely sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, quartered and sliced or 2 Persian cucumbers, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup jicama, julienned
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienned using a julienne tool
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- dressing (below)
Place all slaw ingredients in a bowl. The amounts of each ingredient doesn’t really matter. Do it to taste. Pour the dressing over the slaw and mix until everything is coated.
Double as needed.
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons clover honey (opt.)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Measure all dressing ingredients into a jar and shade until well blended.
Photo of mandarins on tree branch by Toshi Kawabata
Photo of mandarin trees by 305 Seahill